Create your very own homemade eruptions with this volcano experiment! Watch your kids (and adults too) be amazed with this science experiment, which is also a great learning exercise for curious minds to build knowledge. It can be made from ingredients, many of which you are likely to already have at home.
- Cooking oil
- Warm water
- Baking/bicarbonate soda
- Red food colouring
- Baking pan/tray
- Large bowl
- Plastic bottle
- Liquid detergent
- Mix 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and 2 cups of water in a large bowl
- Mix the ingredients together with your hands until the mixture is firm
- Stand the bottle in the centre of the pan/tray
- Mould the salt dough around the bottle in a cone shape (like a volcano) but leave the top of the bottle uncovered
- Fill the bottle almost to the top with warm water
- Add a few drops of food colouring
- Squeeze 6 drops of detergent into the bottle
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking/bicarbonate soda
- Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle
- Your volcano will fizz and spurt red lava!
Why does it do this?
- Because mixing baking/bicarbonate soda and vinegar makes a chemical reaction.